Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Blessed from a blowout...

We went to St. Simons Island last week for our kids spring break.  My in-laws have a condo down there and we are blessed to be able to go every year.  It is literally my favorite place on earth...it's where I feel the most relaxed...where I am rejuvenated.  We played in the sand...the waves...rode our bikes for miles...ate far too much ice cream and good food...and just enjoyed being a family.  It was a great week and I literally dreaded leaving this special place that I have dubbed my second home...even though it's my in-laws:)! 


We set out Saturday afternoon with the van loaded down...kids tired from a day of biking and the beach...and headed back to our home.  We were about 20 to 30 minutes into the drive when I noticed the car was bumping and not riding smooth.  I mentioned to Ric that I thought we might have a flat so we pulled over.  We looked at the tire...it wasn't flat but it had a huge bulge on the side of it and we knew the tire was separated....the third one to do this on this set of tires!  We knew we needed to find a tire shop so we got on the iPhone's and started searching.  We had two choices...go 14 miles to Walmart or 4 to a local place.  Ric went back and forth and then decided to go to the local place.  We had just started driving in that direction when it happened...the loudest boom I have heard and then grinding and the car jerking.  We had blown the tire out.  I screamed...Ric said "it's ok...I got it"...Jesse woke up...the kids asked what was going on...it was a few very scary moments.

We  pulled over and checked out the damage.  I couldn't believe a tire could do that to a vehicle...but now I know.  We began the process of finding the spare...going through that process was insane.  They put it in the strangest of places and it's seriously a project to get it out.  Charlie is helping Ric...I'm all nervous thinking someone is gonna be texting and not paying attention and smash into us on the side of the road,  when James came along. 

James is a Georgian...through and through.  He drove a big truck...had country music playing in the background...and had a smile that spread for miles.  He asked if we needed help and Ric said that he had just about gotten the spare on so he offered to drive us and show us where the tire shop was.  He threw our tore up tire in the back of that big 'ol pick up and off we went.  We went to 3 places looking for somewhere open.  Each time we stopped Ric told James that we could find one...he didn't have to go out of his way.  He politely told Ric that he was in it to the end...he was gonna get us a tire!  He drove over 15 miles to get us to the Walmart...surely out of his way.  After he took Ric in and got things settled he came to my window.  I thanked him profusely for being so kind and stopping to help us...he kept telling us the whole time that that was what he was here for....and I believe it.  He then asked where Charlie was and went around to his side of the van.  He stuck his hand out and told Charlie it was nice to meet him...and then he shook his hand and said "get you and your brother and sisters something with this"...and then James walked away.  Charlie opened his hand and found a wadded up bill...and he opened it and said "he gave me $20 bucks"...I turned and said "what??" and then looked closer and saw that it was a 50 dollar bill. 

Of course I cried...because of this stranger's kindness...because of God's provision and protection...and for God using something like a blowout to bless me.  You see, I was irritated with the blowout...I wanted to be home...not stuck in some small town.  God showed me that sometimes our inconveniences can produce huge blessings...that there are good, Godly people out there...and that He is still in control of it all.  I will never forget that day...never forget James...never forget that sometimes blessings come in strange ways...even through a tire blowout!

2 comments:

Meg said...

This gave me big splashy tears! Especially when I read that it was 50 dollars. I can only imagine how you must have felt! James was your angel that day!

Chad Miller said...

If you were a dinosaur, you'd be Blogosaurus Rex... You are an excellent communicator. Seriously...