Monday, January 24, 2011

In order...

You ever wonder why the letters on a keyboard aren't in alphabetical order? I hadn't, until several nights ago(more on that in a minute)...so I did some research to find out why the letters are the way they are.



In 1868, Christopher Latham Sholes patented the typewriter that we commonly use today. He first had the letters in order, but when one typed fast the letters would get jammed...because the most used letters were beside each other. So Sholes, based on research by Amos Densmore, rearranged the typewriter keys out of order so that the most used letters were farther away from each other. This slowed typing speed and helped to prevent jams. Sholes patented the QWERTY keyboard in 1878...thus the modern day keyboard. Now you want to know why I did all this research?? Just read below!

That night I had a come to Jesus meeting with my daughters over the condition of their bedroom and bathroom.  There was a trail of dirty clothes from the floor in their room into the bathroom where their hamper lives.  I was frustrated with them for the mess, and they knew it.  We made a dent in the disaster zone...I went to tuck Jesse in, and then I headed back down to the girls room to give them hugs and kisses. 

Addie was reading and Shelby was playing on her play laptop that she got for Christmas.  I bent down to hug her first...I said "I love you ...even if you are Miss Piggy and have the messiest room in the tri-state area"...she giggled and then I saw something in her hands.  I asked her what it was...and she said " I just like them in order".  I looked at her hands...the laptop...and figured out that she had keys from the keyboard. I quickly told her that she can't take the keys off the computer...that she will break it.  She looked at me all confused...she said "Mom, all the letters are out of Alphabetical order and I don't like that.  I'm just fixing them."  I looked at the keyboard, and sure enough across the top of the keys instead of QWER was ABCD!  I was dying laughing...I mean dying!  Shelbs looked at me and said..."I don't like them out of order...it bothers me!".  I just shook my head and told her that's the way it's always been and if she hits that new A it is still gonna be Q...and that she needed to go to bed...as I walked out of the room just a laughing!


Shelby took something that in her eyes she viewed as messed up...and she tried to fix it.  She was going to pull off everyone of those keys and put them in order!  I thought about Shelby and her venture to reinvent the keyboard...and how so many times in my life we try to fix things to be the way that we think they should be.  We try to finagle circumstances so that in the end I get what we want...we think we know best...we think we can control things.  Every time I do that....guess what?  I bomb.  My plans fail...things don't go as planned and I pout...I  get down....and I come up with a new plan.  Just like Shelby and her keys...we like to move things around to be just perfect...but guess what?  IT NEVER WORKS...or at least not for me.  Oh, it may for a short time...but in the end, someone elses plan always wins out(kinda like that A that can't be a Q)!

God has a plan for our lives friends...yes, He does.  It's a good plan...a trustworthy plan...and way better than any plan that I can concoct.  The bible tells us in Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope".  WOW!  God has plans for us...He really does.  He tells us that they are plans for welfare or good...which doesn't mean that we won't face trials or troubles, but those trials will produce good in our lives.  The things that come our way aren't for evil....and they are too give us hope.  Hope...the bible also says in Romans  5:5, "Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us".  Praise the Lord!  I am so glad I serve a God that not only has a plan for my life...it's the best plan and it's for my good!  Praise Him that He promises me that His plan is to give me a hope...and then He assures me again in His scripture...that that hope will never disappoint! 

 

Trust His plan today...quit moving your keys around to get the outcome you want.  His plan is far better than one we could ever think up.  If you are a child of the King, I encourage you to trust Him with your life wholly.  Every square inch of it.  If you don't know Jesus, I encourage you to give your life to Him...He has an awesome plan for your life....I promise, but better yet, He promises!


No comments: