Monday, February 14, 2011

Just like her...




I love Valentine's Day. I love candy...sweet little gifts...cheesy cards...school parties. I love celebrating my love for people on this day...as well as every other day of the year. I surely don't love them anymore just because the calendar tells me too...but I love expressing my love  in an extra way on this particular day.

I love getting to spend time with my husband and kids on this day. Some years we have a special date...some years we are at home with the kids. This year we will be at basketball practice...such is life. I love my man though and pretty much think that he is awesomeness. He loves me, with all my faults...with all my strange tendencies...he just loves me, and I am grateful for that.

Valentines took on a whole 'nother meaning for me 8 years ago. Snow was glistening on the ground that morning...it was freezing cold. I had woken up extra early that morning...why I'm not sure. It could have been Charlie waking up...me getting ready for the day...not being able to sleep because I was almost 9 months pregnant...but I remember where I was...what we were doing when that phone call came. The phone call we knew was coming eventually...but the call that we dreaded. The phone rang sometime after 6 that morning...my mom answered it...I heard her voice quivering as she talked...and I just knew. Knew that my sweet Mama who had been fighting dementia for years had gone to be with Jesus. Knew that our lives would be forever changed because of that day. Mom got off the phone and we just hugged and cried. We were broken...sad...but thankful she was no longer in any pain. Thankful that she was healed...that dementia no longer had its ugly grip on her mind...thankful she was in the presence of the King. I remember smiling and saying to mom..."that's just like her...to go on a day that stands for love...because that is what she did the best...love."

Valentine's Day will never be just about loving on my sweet family...it will forever be a reminder of her life...her love...her legacy. I am thankful to God that He chose to call her home that snowy day...that she lived her life so full of His love...His grace...that it poured out into everyone around her. She stood for love...so for her to be in the presence of Christ that day...well, it's just like her!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet tribute!! I'm sure you are so thankful for every moment you had! Love to you!