Thursday, September 15, 2011

Writing notes...

Today I had my first parent/teacher conference of the year. I met with Shelby Jean's awesome teacher, Mrs. Musick. We went over her strengths...some of the areas she needs to work on...her work ethic...and then I found out about writing notes.

I asked Amy if Shelby was a good listener...and she responded with a laugh and said, "oh, Shelby Jean is a great listener...so good that we have to write notes." She then told me that Shelby is a great multi-tasker and can be sitting at her center all the way across the room and be listening to what the teachers are saying(there is a teacher's assistant in Kindergarten here). Amy said that her and Zabrina now have to write notes if they want to discuss the progress or ability of another child in the class because little miss Shelby is ALWAYS listening!!

I laughed when she told me about the Queen(that's what we call her, ya know) and wicked listening skills...and lets not even talk about how much she remembers.  I have known about her skills for a long time. She hears everything...she listens intently...she takes it in. You won't know she is listening...nope you won't...not until she tells your friends all about he conversation you had the night before!! Ha!! But, not only does she listen...she acts on what she hears. If someone is sad...she comforts them. If someone needs help with a problem...she goes to them. If someone is heartbroken...well, she will cry right along with you(she does with me all the time). I love that about my sweet Shelby!!

She is clumsy...yep, really bad...and she may or may not have an overabundance of snot(we seriously need to take her to an ENT about it) and she may spill half of her lunch on her clothes...EVERY DAY...but oh her heart...her heart is so big. So accepting...so forgiving...so ready to love...so funny...so ready to listen...because I do believe she hears with her heart. It goes straight in her ears...and straight down to heart. I love Shelby Jean and pray that I could be half the listener she is...I pray that I would have my ears so open that I would hear when someone needs me...that I would speak things in front of her that she needs to hear...that I wouldn't have to write a note(my toes got stepped on a big time when I thought of that)...oh that I would hear with my heart...and that I would not just be a hearer, but a doer of His word!

James 1:19 Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger,

James 1:22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.

No comments: