Monday, July 12, 2010

The night the lights went out in Georgia....


This evening we had just finished eating a fantastic supper of beef tenderloin and salad and corn on the cob....the smell of the apple cake cooking in the oven was filling the house...and then a heard it. A strong rumble. I walked out thru our garage and saw the storm clouds coming, and buddy they were moving fast. I walked back in and told Ric..."we are so gonna lose our power". Not ten minutes later...zap...the lights went out....in Georgia. The kids thought it was cool...Ric is gone to investigate...and I am worried about my apple cake that still had twenty minutes left to cook.



We find the culprit....one of our trees has literally broken in half and landed on the power line, where it was still resting. Ric is going to pull that tree down....much to my chagrin...I am worried about the fact that I left my lighter in the grass at the Fourth of July party where we were lighting sparklers...and the kids, they were running around the house like a bunch of yayhoo's! After Ric valiantly tried to pull the 30 foot tree off of the power lines we decide to call it a night(or at least a night until bedtime) and head over to our new neighbors house who just happens to be some of our best friends. We talked ...I made balloon animals for the kids(ok...who am I kidding, I made a fish and a sword)...the kids shot 103 nerf bullets at each other, and we just had a good time of fellowship. We go home, sans one child we left behind, to find the power....still out!



Ric goes back out to try to wrangle the tree again...I am lighting every candle I can find....the girls and Jesse are bedding down on the couch when we heard it. The lovely sound of a big honkin' truck backing out. We all go sit on the front porch to watch the brave men of Carroll EMC go up in one of those cool bucket things and chop that tree down! The kids watched with mouth's hanging open..."look how high he is"...."does Uncle Paul do that"...."will Mrs. Musick(neighbor)get her power back too"...."that's a cool truck Mom" were some of the statements we heard. Then little Shelby says.." that one tree made every body's power go out?". I told her "yes, because of that one little tree our whole street lost their power Shelby...this one tree caused all of this". I say to Ric..."huh, that would be a cool sermon illustration one day".


Just like that tree caused our whole street to lose power, being faithful to God can bless others. Look at Joseph and his faithfulness and how God brought blessings to Potiphar's house....for Joseph's sake. So many times we look at the bad that can affect those around us and we forget to look at the positives and how they can bless those around us. Even though everyone lost power for several long hours...I bet those families talked more...read by candlelight...visited with friends....played cards. There was no distraction of tv...computers...phones! Nothing. And I just know that it blessed someone...even if it was one person. We need to remember that not only does our sin affect those around us...so does our faithfulness and obedience to the Lord. I know that my hearts desire is to be faithful to a Holy God....and then because of my faithfulness, that others would be blessed for it!

Gen 39:3-5 And his master saw that the LORD was with him and that the LORD made all he did to prosper in his hand. So Joseph found favor in his sight, and served him. Then he made him overseer of his house, and all that he had he put under his authority. So it was, from the time that he had made him overseer of his house and all that he had, that the LORD blessed the Egyptians house for Joseph's sake; and the blessing of the LORD was on all that he had in the house and in the field.
After sitting with Ric on the rocking chairs for about fifteen minutes...the lights come on in a blaze of glory. The girls had already gone back in to lay on the couch and I said "I bet that scared them to death"....I go in to check on them and this is what I found.....the night the lights went out in Georgia!

No comments: