Monday, May 18, 2009








Last night my husband had the honor of being dunked into a big tank of nasty jello and water for our Awana kids. Each kid got to throw a ball for every five sections that they had said since January. Needless to say the kids were stoked to be able to finally get Bro. Ric! I think some of the adults were pretty stoked too!

The evening air was cold, the jello/water mess was freezing, and the kids were accurate. I had some mercy on my poor husband because he was, to say the least....miserable! Jesse didn't like it one bit...he cried the first time Ric went under. I don't know if it was because the kids all screamed or what, but he just fell apart. Shelby had been dying to throw a ball at her Daddy and to get him in. When she hit the target and he went in....she didn't like it too much either. She must be like her Momma and just have mercy oozing out of her:) Charlie and Addie loved it and thought it was so cool to not only hit the target but the outcome of hitting that target!!!

We stood and watched for a long time. Shelby was so quiet about it all and I wasn't sure what she was thinking. I found out this morning though! We were talking at breakfast about it with all the kids and how fun it was. Shelby just sat there and then she said...." Those teenagers cheated Mommy....they knocked Daddy in with their hands. They didn't throw the ball....they cheated!" You see, the seniors in our youth group were standing behind the tank and any time Ric wasn't looking they would run by and hit the button from the backside to dunk him. They thought it was hilarious! Shelby....not so much. She was really bothered that they were "cheating"! Even though it was all done in good fun, and my husband didn't mind the seniors doing it.....Shelby wasn't happy about the rules being broken.

I realized a couple of things this morning from her...that first, little eyes are watching. Yes, our children watch us and so do our peers. They see how we react when things are going great and when things are falling apart around us. They see how we treat one another and how we speak. They hear the words that come out of our mouths....but more importantly than hearing the words, they see our actions. They watch where we go, what we listen to, what we watch on TV, and yes...they watch to see if we break the rules. Because of that, I should strive to live so Godly that my children and those around me would see that God is real in my life. That I do the things I do, not for an outward show, but that I want to honor God. I should do those things more importantly, because God sees everything. He knows my heart, my thoughts, and my motives.

The second thing I learned from Little Miss Thing this morning is that if we have to break the rules to get the same outcome as someone else....than it's cheating. Just like those seniors...the outcome was Ric falling in nasty water...but what they did to get that outcome was different than the ones who worked hard to hit the target with the ball. The same thing should apply to my life. Nothing in life comes without hard work...nothing I do for Christ comes without putting in some effort. I hope I don't take the shortcuts in life that are offered to me, and I know that they will be. I pray that I would do things the right, God honoring way...even if it takes a little more effort.


Deuteronomy 11:18-20 "Therefore you shall lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.
You shall teach them to your children, speaking of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.
And you shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.



Be careful little eyes what you see

It's the second glance that ties your hands as darkness pulls the strings

Be careful little feet where you go

For it's the little feet behind you that are sure to follow

Be careful little ears what you hear

When flattery leads to compromise, the end is always near

Be careful little lips what you say

For empty words and promises lead broken hearts astray

Oh be careful little eyes what see

For the Father up above is looking down in love

Oh be careful little eyes what you see



(words are from Slow Fade by Casting Crowns)

No comments: