Tuesday, November 17, 2009

It's that time of the year again....tip off time...


It has been a busy couple of weeks in the Blazi house. We have ended soccer and basketball is right around the corner. The three oldest will be playing and Ric and I are coaching all three of them. WE are so excited, but know that it is going to be mayhem around our home! We love being involved in the sports program at our church though...it is crazy rewarding to be able to share Christ with these little ones...and teach them the best game that was ever created!


I played ball in college at Liberty University and loved every second of it. When I was in the third grade something happened the day I picked up the basketball. I fell in love with the game. I lived and breathed all things basketball. I decided that year...yes, at the ripe old age of 8, that I was going to play college basketball...Division 1 at that. I set a goal and was going to do whatever I had to do to reach it. I worked hard...and I mean hard. Every summer was spent away at camp just trying to get better. Early mornings were spent on the track and afternoons in the gym...just so I could play ball in college. Little did I know that God had this perfect plan layed out the whole time! I ended my career at my high school and went on to sign a full scholarship with Liberty. The school that I never wanted to go to...the school that was literally 7 miles from my house...was where I went. I woke up one morning and knew that was where I was supposed to go. I could have gone to several other schools to play, but for some reason I knew I was supposed to go to LU!

I went and didn't play much my first year and decided that summer that I was going to work my hind end off to get a starting position. That fall I got saved...Jesus took me off the path to hell and put me on the path to heaven. I surrendered my life to Him on the basketball court during a convocation service in the gym. Not only did my life change...but so did my outlook on the game of basketball. No longer was it just a game, but a tool to reach the lost. I wanted to play ball and share the Gospel with my opponents. I wanted to glorify God in not just my life, but my basketball as well.

Needless to say, God used my basketball ability to give me the opportunity to share Christ with a whole bunch of people! I shared after games....during press conferences...with children in Spain.....and now with the 4 year olds that I will have the opportunity to coach. Amazing how one game can do so much in a persons life! I will forever be grateful that I picked up that leather ball in the third grade! That I was a determined young girl...and that God used the game to change my life! I pray that me teaching these young kids about the game...will not just point them to basketball, but to a Holy God!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome testimony!! I never knew many of these facts. I just loved watching you play when I was at LU. How wonderful that you use this ability now to reach little ones. I pray God really blesses you through it!

Mom said...

So many memories :) Love you Genie